Thursday, April 16, 2009

Validation

Sometimes I think I'm too cynical, and that I should subscribe to my mother's much more positive "everyone is basically good" theory.

And then I discover that Frenchi, the local Rite Aid Real Change agent, actually DID drink himself into homelessness (see "Here Are a Few of my Least Favorite Things" in older posts) so I feel wickedly vindicated in my cynicism, although sad for him that this is the direction his life has gone. This doesn't mean that I'm any less supportive of his apparent efforts to get back on track now, but...I guess I just feel that a little wariness in my daily life keeps me from being hurt, or duped. I'm sad that Frenchi's story confirms my earlier suspicions - I was so hoping it would give me a reason to see the world through slightly rosier glasses.

No comments: